Thursday, March 19, 2009

Friendship and Mortality Check

My life-long friend (our mothers were pregnant with us together) is having a heart catheterization to look for and remove blockage tomorrow. She is 4 months older than me which is way too young to be dealing with this. Needless to say it has been a sudden reminder of our own mortality for both of us.

I called her today and we had an awesome talk about what God might do for good in this. Our relationship has changed over the last few years. We are not each other's day to day buddies as much as we used to be. But still, our history is so long and so rich we can pick up where we left off. We also know each other's strengths and weaknesses. We have been through lots together - divorces of our parents, weddings, teaching, infertility, motherhood, and now middle age. Today we did some crying which she needed and some laughing which we both needed. We talked about how realizing we can't be everything for everybody might be a part of the healing process. We talked about how long she can milk this and get extra help from hubby and kids. We talked about keeping faith meaning knowing God is there even when we're not feeling it so much. I told her I am not worried for her health. I trust that the procedure will be successful and she'll feel better tomorrow afternoon than she's felt in a while. All in all it was a good conversation for both of us.

So if you think of it, your prayers for life-long friend would be appreciated early Friday morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, my precious friend. I forgot to tell you as we hung up that I love you. Always have, always will. You really blessed me today.
Lifelong Friend