Friday, January 18, 2008

Friday Five: Read Any Good Books Lately?


From RevGalBlogPals:
The website promoting this piece of art says, "For the first time, the worlds most influential religious texts are brought together and presented on the same level, their coexistence acknowledged and celebrated”. The shelf is made of reclaimed wood that contains seven religious books. The designers have put them – literally – on the same level.



Well, pish posh! I think that some books ARE better than others! How about you?


1. What book have you read in the last six months that has really stayed with you? Why?

Making Spiritual Sense: Christian Leaders As Spiritual Interpreters by Scott Cormode because it made sense.

The Power to Bless by Myron C. Madden because it brought healing.

Woman Prayers: Prayers by Women from throughtout History and Around the World by Mary Ford-Grabowsky becsuse it holds beauty and strength.

I'm about to start Five Practices of Fruitful Congregations by Bishop Robert Schnase. I'll let you know what I think.

2. What is one of your favorite childhood books?

Just one? I can't pick just one! I read Heidi, and the entire Little Women series over and over again. When I was younger, there was an easy read book called Let Papa Sleep. Pip and Chip are supposed to be quiet and let Papa sleep. Of course everything they do makes a big mess and lots of noise, but Papa doesn't wake up. In the end, a fly lands on Papa's nose and wakes him up. I still think it's funny and I still have the book. And of course there was always A Child's Garden of Verses.


3. Do you have a favorite book of the Bible? Do tell!

Psalms - the emotion is so there and so raw. I still love a good poem.


4. What is one book you could read again and again?

I'm currently re-reading the entire Mitford Series by Jan Karon. I'm up to In this Mountain.


5. Is there a book you would suggest for Lenten reading? What is it and why?

I don't have anything to offer. I'm going to have to read everyone else's answers and find something.


And because we all love bonus questions, if you were going to publish a book what would it be? Who would you want to write the jacket cover blurb expounding on your talent?
I might write a book of devotions or of some of my sacred imaginings. I have written short stories from the perspective of bystanders in the Bible (ex. a girl in King Herod's court when the Magi came). I would want Dogblogger to write the blurb. She is a great writer and she likes me!

9 comments:

Terri said...

I'm going to get the book you suggest - Woman Prayers - sounds like one I would like....thanks for suggesting it!

DogBlogger said...

Nice play! (But are you sure you wouldn't want someone legitimately famous to write your blurb? Nah, we could just get someone like that to sign what I write...)

Sally said...

Woman prayers sounds like an excellent book, another for the wish list ;-)

Unknown said...

Have found "something" yet?

Nifty post, I forgot about the Psalms.

RevHRod said...

Great play! You've added some books for me to look for.

mid-life rookie said...

Woman Prayers is an awesome book. I had to convince my CPE group that it would be a good gift for our supervisor who writes poetry. She loved it! She knew I instigated it and made a point of letting me know how much she was enjoying it.

Diane M. Roth said...

I would read your book if dogblogger recommended it. really.

Anonymous said...

I hope you find Five Practices helpful. There is also a website we are working on: FivePractices.org. On the website there is a section called the Bookshelf that has some other book recommendations from UM leaders, bishops, pastors, laity, etc. Enjoy, and blessings to you in your ministry. Robert Schnase

DogBlogger said...

Never mind about me writing your blurb... Bishop Schnase came by, so we can try getting him to do it!

Also, Cub has tagged you... no need to respond until after you've preached, though.