Friday, January 11, 2008

Friday Five

Mother Laura at RevGalBlogPals writes:

Éstas son las mañanitas These are the morning verses
Que cantaba el Rey David, That King David used to sing,
A las muchachas bonitas To the beautiful young ladies,
Se las cantaba así. He would sing them like this.

(The Mexican birthday song, sometimes sung as a dawn serenade).Youtube Mariachi version
here. Piano music and eleventy-zillion more verses here.

My forty-third birthday next Wednesday will inaugurate the "Birthday Madness" season in the Grimes-Honkanen household. The next day Katie will turn five and just over two weeks later, on Feb. 3, Nicholas will be eleven. In the middle, on January 30, we celebrate the gift of Grandma Di; Nicholas and I were both due on my Mom's birthday but I was uncharacteristically early and he was little late. We will be doing a trip to Disneyland to celebrate them all in a couple weeks; in the meantime I offer this birthday-inspired Friday Five.

1. When is your birthday? Does anyone else (famous and/or in your own life) share it?
In August, 15 days later than it was supposed to be. I'm a Virgo who was expected to be a Leo.

2. Do you prefer a big party or an intimate celebration for the chosen few?
Both! Why have just one party? Celebrate small with family and big with friends.

3. Describe your most memorable birthday(s)--good, bad, or both.
Uggh - turning 40 wouldn't have been too bad except G&T sent me black roses. I don't mean roses grown to be black. I mean what would have been a beautiful bouquet before it was spray painted black, stems, leaves, petals and all! It was the most depressing thing I've ever seen. To top it off, his mother sent me Luby's Gift Certificate. Just how old did she think I was anyway?

On a better note, last August I finished CPE on my birthday. We had a lovely graduation service in the chapel and a great lunch. I thanked them for planning all that just for my birthday.

4. What is your favorite cake and ice cream? (Bonus points if you share the cake recipe). Or would you rather have a different treat altogether?
Forget Cake (too dry), forget Ice Cream - Bring on the Key Lime Pie!

5. Surprise parties: love 'em or hate 'em?
Neutral.

Bonus: Describe your ideal birthday--the sky's the limit.
Beach. Hammock. Good Book. Massage in hut on beach. Great Dinner with hubby served on patio of hotel room facing beach. Good wine. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

11 comments:

Law+Gospel said...

Key lime pie- like that too. Luckily I don't gain weight just by reading everyone's desserts. I will finish CPE this summer on my daughter's birthday in August.

Muthah+ said...

A Luby's gift certificate!! WaaaHaaa, love it! They did that kind of stuff for me when I turned 30. Now at 63 it ain't so funny. Glad you played

Sally said...

Black roses and a Luby's certificate- not a birthday to remember then!

As for Key Lime Pie- yum...

Rochelle said...

Black roses and a Luby's card--yikes! Where are doing CPE? I did 3units at Parkland in Dallas several years ago. Key Lime pie is really good too =)

Mary Beth said...

I do NOT like joke gifts like the black roses. No sense of humor here. not for that.

Mmmm...key lime pie!

Jan said...

I wouldn't like black roses either. Happy Birthday! Enjoy that key lime pie.

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Glad that last birthday was so much better than the mean one...I never get that stuff.

Terri said...

Key lime pie, love it!

sorry about the roses...sigh...

Deb said...

OH my - Key lime pie is a fave. I just left some at the beach in the freezer for my mom.

deb

Rev SS said...

Love you ideal b'day!

(this is my first visit to your blog .. and I've just been getting to know you by reading past posts. As a second-career pastor, I resonate a lot with your experiences ... and have been blessed by your reflections)

Anonymous said...

Lifelong friend here again. Did you mention our ongoing birthday ritual? Mine four months before yours, so you call to ask me at what age we stop breaking out in acne. I'm at 47, and it's still here. Sigh.