Friday, September 21, 2007

Friday 5 - de-cluttering edition

I'm just now posting because I spent the whole day scrubbing the kitchen and putting the den back together after the foundation repair. I now have a pile of stuff that's not going back into the den in my garage. Tomorrow it will go to a local charity that has a resale shop.

Sally at RevGalBlogPals writes this timely meme.
With Jo, Jon and Chris all moving to college and University accommodation there has been a big clear up going on in the Coleman household. We have been sorting and trying hard not just to junk stuff, but actually to get it to where it can be useful. On a brighter note we have used Freecycle ( check it out) to provide the twins with pots and pans etc that other folk were clearing out.

Making the most of our resources is important, I have been challenged this week by the amount of stuff we accumulate, I'd love to live a simpler lifestyle, it would be good for me, and for the environment I think...

With that in mind I bring you this Friday 5;
1. Are you a hoarder or a minimalist?
Somewhere between, but closer to minimalist.
I have a few boxes of keepsakes going back to my childhood and of course manBoy's infancy. I have my original teddy bear along with some others I've collected. However, I have no problem gettting rid of things that are not sentimental or useful. I prefer an uncluttered look.

2. Name one important object ( could be an heirloom) that you will never part with.
Wedding Rings. I've worn them almost 27 years. Not the biggest of diamonds, but the one we chose together.

3. What is the oldest item in your closet? Does it still fit???
Fancy party dress bought as reward for losing weight some time in the late 80's. Sadly it doesn't come close to fitting.

4.Yard sales- love 'em or hate 'em ?
To sell or to shop? I will hold one if I have enough time to go through the whole house and gather up stuff. Lately, I've gleaned one room at a time and wind up just donating to above charity as I don't accumulate critical mass to have a garage sale. We bought much of manBoy's baby equipment at garage sales. In the time of BC (before child), G&T and I used to go garage sale shopping just for fun. That was a simpler time. Now we spend Saturday mornings at Cross Country meets.


5. Name a recycling habit you really want to get into.
That's hard. We are fortunate to have once a week curbside pick up for recycling plastic, paper, glass, metal, and yard debris, so it's easy to recycle that stuff. manBoy's clothes get passed down to cousin or donated. One thing I need to do is find a place to donate old eyeglasses. All three of us wear them and we have quite a collection. I know the Lion's club collects them. I just have to find where.



And for a bonus- well anything you want to add....
Today: the kitchen and den
Tomorrow: my office/ guest room.
Thanks for the inspiration.

2 comments:

DogBlogger said...

You are such a minimalist, and very good at it! I have a minimalist room or two, but I have trouble getting beyond that!

mid-life rookie said...

Oops, I was reminded at Reverend Mother's blog that the oldest thing in my closet would be my wedding dress. 27 years next month. And no it wouldn't come close to fitting.