Sunday, August 06, 2006

Sacred Movement

Wow, blogging is great! A place to voice my "aha moments" without tiring the ears of friends who have listened to so many of them over the last few years.

Today in church I spoke about sacred movement. No, not liturgical dance. But about the movement that is involved in the sacrament of Holy Communion. Our church practices intinction where the bread is received and dipped into the cup. It seems to me that sometimes in our worship planning we think of the movement of the congregation from their seats to the serving point and back to their seats as mere logistics. Looking at Psalm 51, which I know is OT and doesn't have anything to do with Holy Communion, I began to envision that movement as part of the sacrament. As we move toward the bread and cup, we like the Psalmist are declaring our need for God's love and mercy. When we move away after receiving, we do so in newness of life. The final sacred movement is out into the world to bear the message of God's love.

Lord, let more and more of my movements be sacred, set apart for you. Amen

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's an interesting way to see it as sacred movement. May I use it in our next communion?

mid-life rookie said...

Rev. Abi,
Absolutely. Feel free to use it. I'm honored.

Sally said...

WOW WHAT A GREAT WAY OF LOOKING AT THIS, i WILL VIEW MY MOVEMENT TOWARDS THE BREAD AND WINE VERY DIFFERENTLY FROM NOW ON.
oops sorry for shouting... too lazy to delete all that and start again- like you I am a mid-life seminarian- good to see you on rev gals