Friday, March 20, 2009

Friday Five: Signs of Hope

My beloved speaks and says to me: “Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away; for now the winter is past, the rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing has come, and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land. The fig tree puts forth its figs, and the vines are in blossom; they give forth fragrance. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away. Song of Solomon 2:10-13

Songbird at RevGalBlogPals challenges us with this meme:

In the late, late winter, as the snow begins to recede here in Maine, we begin to look almost desperately for signs of spring, signs of hope that the weather has turned and a new day is on the horizon. For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, Easter and Spring twine inextricably, the crocuses and daffodils peeking through the Earth as we await the risen Christ. Share with us five signs of hope that you can see today or have experienced in the past.

This is an interesting question for today. I have more angst than hope this morning and I'm not sure why. So this should be a good exercise.

1. This morning I began to explore the questions I will need to answer for ordination writing (due Dec. 1) prior to ordination interviews in February 2010 prior to ordination in June 2010 if I pass all the requirements. This particular activity has filled me with dread of the writing and the interviewing. I've done it before for commissioning - no picnic. So I'm trying to see this morning's activities as a sign of hope that this very long ordination process (I began seminary in Jan. 2003) will come to fulfillment. Lord give me hope and vision in the coming months and your Spirit to sustain me. Amen.

2. Just received text from life-long friend's husband. No artery blockage. See previous post.

3. ManBoy has begun receiving propaganda (oops promotional materials) from colleges. Future looks bright. Glad he's still home two more years.

4. Church member, who is noted to be an introvert, made a concerted effort to invite some visitors to our soup supper this Sunday. Hospitality emphasis during Lent is having a positive effect!

5. I'm leaving this one blank to see what the day holds. - Lord, I know that hope is a mark of discipleship, but honestly I'm not there today. Open my eyes and heart Lord to see the signs of hope around me. Lead me in your way today and fill me with your peace. Amen.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Bravely done, especially numbers 1 and 5.

Mary Beth said...

Good on you! KNow that we are standing with you as you walk the road.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

Lots of movement going on in your life...blessings as you have named areas of hope.

altar ego said...

I see that the risks others are taking (the introvert, for instance) is a reflection of the hope that you encourage in them. It's there! It's there! And I pray and hope for you that the ordination necessities will provide opportunities. I find that the Holy Spirit is very adept at revealing herself through the pen (or keystrokes).

Anonymous said...

thanks be for your friend - and peace to you on the ordination writing ((mlr))