Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Delightful Mothers Day

G&T worked hard to make sure Mother's Day was reserved for me (not hosting other family...). I had battled a migraine off and on all week, and fully on for Friday and Saturday. G&T came through with a gift card for a 90 minute massage! I'm scheduled for today - can't wait.

I woke to find a handmade card from manBoy on the kitchen table. It wasn't fancy - but it was big - made from left over display cardboard. What it looked like wasn't important. What is says is. To quote a couple of lines, "You do more for me than I realize, and you mean more to me than you realize...And even though I seem to always be mad at you, deep down I really do love you." Words to be treasured during these years of teenaged angst. Top that Ha**mark!

Fortunately, headache subsided by Sunday. I didn't have any responsibilities at church, was able to go and enjoy the service. One of our members spoke about her experiences as a foster parent including last summer's adoption of the most recent child placed in her home, making this her first official Mother's Day - if you ask me she's been a mom for a long time. Her inspiration to become a foster parent came from one of the restoration passages in Isaiah. I'd never thought of the restorative nature of foster parenting - but now that she mentions it, I've watched it happen in her daughter. I was blessed by her story.

Lunch was at a favorite Mexican restaurant. We had fought the temptation to spend our eating out money on fast food for two weekends so we'd still have some for Mother's Day. It was worth it.

Later in the afternoon, manBoy asked about going to see the new Star Trek movie. G&T and I were interested, so we all went together (rare occasion these days). It is a great movie. We will probably purchase it when it comes out on DVD. Can't wait to see the special features.

All in all, it was a great day!

4 comments:

Terri said...

Glad your migraine left...while I don't get them my kids do...also what a lovely day and card!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful Mother's Day!!

DogBlogger said...

Glad you had such a great day! And what. a. card. from manBoy!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

What a good mothers day!!!