Friday, November 02, 2007

Friday Five: Interviews

Mother Laura at RevGalBlogPals writes:
Songbird just had an interview for a "vague and interesting" possibility, and More Cows than People is doing campus visits for doctoral programs. There always seem to be a few RevGals applying for new positions, and I just got my first call for this year's preliminary interviews for college teaching jobs at the American Academy of Religion meeting in San Diego coming up in a few weeks. It's for my dream job among this year's offerings, and I am flipflopping between excitement and nervousness. So please keep your fingers crossed and say a little prayer for everyone facing such conversations, and share your thoughts on the wonderful world of interviews:
1. What was the most memorable interview you ever had?
That would have to be the interviews for commissioning in my denomination. Three separate interviews with groups of 10-15 people. It was daunting! Fortunately, I had good prayer support and a friend that went with me (this was encouraged). The Typist at The Best Dog Ever made a great power point that played back at my home church while people gathered to pray. It worked. I passed!

I recently interviewed for a Hospice Chaplain position. I had a migraine earlier in the day. When I went to get my prescription refilled, the pharmacy was out of the medicine! I was not. a. happy. camper. I had them call the prescription to a store across the street. Each minute that passed was one less minute I had to get to feeling better before the interview. It takes a while for the meds to kick in. I was better, but not great by the interview time.

2. Have you ever been the interviewer rather than the interviewee? If so, are you a tiger, a creampuff, or somewhere in between?
I think I'm more tigger (t-i-double guh-er) than tiger. I get enthusiasitic when I meet someone I think would be good in a position.

3. Do phone interviews make you more or less nervous than in-person ones?
I don't recall any phone interviews. I think it would be hard not to be able to see the other person's face and body language.

4. What was the best advice you ever got to prepare for an interview? How about the worst?
Apparently I don't listen to advice, because I can't tell you who said what and whether or not is was good or bad. I know people have offered advice, but I just don't remember what they said.

5. Do you have any pre-interview rituals that give you confidence?
Just take a deep breath, put it in God's hands and double check to make sure my skirt isn't tucked up into the top of my panty hose. Oh, and music. Listening to good music on the way or just before.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Tigger, huh? Does that mean you bounce around alot?

Good play.

TTFN

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

I love the Tigger answer--and the reminder about the panty hose :-).

DogBlogger said...

Good play!