Friday, September 01, 2006

RevGalBlogPals Friday Five: life in the fast lane

Big gentle hugs, soft pillows and heating pads to Will Smama, our resident matriarch and preacher/blogger/procrastinator who was involved in a bit of a fender-bender this week. We're very grateful she's OK, just a little shaken up...In lieu of flowers, I send this Friday Five out to her. Let's all be careful on those roadways.

Okay, I'm busted here. This one reveals all my worst habits and attitudes.

1. Driving: an enjoyable way to clear the mind? a means to an end? a chance to be quiet with one's thoughts? a necessary evil? the downfall of our planet and its fossil fuels? Discuss.

Since manBoy was old enough to talk, I have enjoyed our time together in the car. When he was little, he talked quite a bit. That 3-4 year old stage when he had continuous questions got a little old at times. I have to admit that after the third "Why?" in a series I would resort to "Because that is how God made it." But that same inquisitive nature is what led to his excited announcement on the way home from pre-school, "Today we played lungs. I was the carbon dioxide and the teacher breathed me out."

Now he's not as talkative, but I still get more out of him in the car than anywhere else. He can't escape, so he might as well talk.

2. Do you drive the speed limit? A little faster? Slower? Have you ever gotten a ticket?

Okay, truth time. I drive faster than the speed limit when I can find someone to follow. I like to get where I'm going faster, but I'm not willing to take the ticket.

3. Do you take public transportation? When? What's your opinion of the experience?

In order to do this, I would have to leave an hour earlier, drive more than half the distance to the hospital, and then get on a bus. The next burb over is on the bus line, but mine isn't. So, I don't take public transportation.

4. Complete this sentence: _the other drivers where ever I happen to be driving_ are the worst drivers I've ever experienced.

5. According to the Census Bureau, reverendmother's fair city has the 6th longest average commute in the United States at 29 minutes each way. How does your personal commute rate?

40 minutes door to door including parking in the garage and hiking across the street.

Bonus for the brutally honest: It has been said, and the MythBusters have confirmed, that cell phones can impede driving ability almost as much as drinking. Do you talk on a cell phone while driving?

Yes, I do. I use an earbud, so I'm hands free and can easily turn my head. I realize that doesn't take away the distractions. It does make the 40 minutes go faster.

1 comment:

Theresa Coleman said...

Hey!
I would love to read some CPE blogging....
Good luck and prayers your way.